Friday, February 18, 2011

Glen More (Thursday Night Gaming)



Ok, so tonight I managed to get in 2 whole games before calling it a night! If you know my schedule and the the group (LLGers - Lovers of Longer Games), you'd know this is impressive! Anyway, so I was hit up to try out Glen More as I was trying to be good and leave early for a change and go home to the wife and kids. Sadly, my desire to try out a new game over took my original plans!

So, after a quick run through of the rules we dove into it. I was a little shaky about the activation of adjacent tiles and the movement of the "Clansmen", but after a my second turn I quickly had all that ironed out. So, in this game your using your colored meeple to bid on various properties with various production abilities. The player in the rear gets to place first and play progresses from there (Think Leap Frog), but the trick is not jumping to far ahead or you might short yourself out of some movements waiting on the other players to slowly surpass you. The other big element is the placement, which is limited to spaces adjacent to a Clansman, and which in turn activate all other adjacent spaces when placed. Ok... take all that in and become completely confused! Moving on, I'll spare you any further convoluted observations about the mechanics and say this, if you've ever played Cuba, it feels in some very subtle ways like Cuba Mega Lite!

For me the best part of this game was watching my friend Sam being abused by the Dice that in our 3 player game, acted as a 4th player that when rolled removed the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd tile in the rotation. Every other time the dice was rolled it just wrecked his strategy and his reactions were priceless!! As expected though I didn't win my first time out but I feel that my score was respectable: Sam 58, Doug 54, and Me 47. Ok, so yeah I sucked... but I had fun!

Glen More: Light, but strategic. Fun and easy to learn! 9 out of 10 for my first play through!


No comments:

Post a Comment