Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Paranoia & Fiasco RPGs (More Birthday Gaming)

PARANOIA

So following my adventures with John B. on Tuesday (2/22/11), I also hosted my D&D group at my place for some role playing! Our usual D&D campaign is on hold due to member's schedules, so in the meantime our DM/GM decided to try out some other games on us. I think that statement of trying games out on us is uber-appropriate with regard to Paranoia.

The game, which is a giant case of fuck your neighbor, was started with minimal introduction to the system or the overall feel of the "world". So all of us being new to the game and role playing in general, fumbled and stumbled at every turn. But, we made it fun by god! We made the most off color and outlandish choices possible just to get a laugh! I know our DM was having a field day trying to keep us on point, but we didn't care... if he was gonna stick us in this game we were gonna have a blast.

I can't fairly rate this game at this time, nor can I explain the system or dynamics to you as I am still about 98% confused myself, which feels correct given the brief explanation we received for the game. I'm truly on the fence about this one... I like my D&D game where I know clearly my objective and I can quickly reference a character sheet and find everything I need to know about my guy and his gear. But, I do think the game has tremendous potential and I know plenty of people that love the game. I did especially enjoy the part where the four troubleshooters are pulling guns on each other and after taking a shot to the head and having my hand chopped off, I wound up with 3 clones to their single characters! Needless to say it got ugly from there! So, we'll see if it grows on us, and I hope it does!



The other game we tried out was a game I had picked up and read through... Fiasco! Fiasco is best described as a Coen Brother's Movie in RPG form. The game is light on mechanics and heavy on storytelling, which for me is just awesome. I have taken improv classes and always been a huge fan of creative writing, so this game is a perfect outlet for that. I will have to give much love and respect to Danny and Sam, who stayed late with me and indulged me in this game for my Birthday!

So, Fiasco... this game uses a set of d6s for each player 2 white and 2 black, each player tosses his die into the center of the table and from there you go around and pick a single die, using it's number to added an element to the relationships of himself or another set of players. After all the die are gone you should have you should have some nice guidelines for how everyone is connected and the needs of the people in the game. From there all the die are returned to the center and you start going around the table and either setting up your story or resolving it, with the rest of the group handling the counter-part. Halfway, through the dice pool you get to the "Tilt" which is where shit hits the fan! The two players with the best outcomes from there collected dies, pick two Tilt elements to add to the center of the table and then play continues.

Now, someone has to man up and take on a tilt element and just send his character into the fire. :)  Once, all the die and Tilt elements are taken and played you roll up your dice and based on your outcome find out what happens to your characters. From there you do my favorite part, the montage! The montage is where you use the outcome and the dice you've collected to wrap things up. You pick up a dice and say, "This is _______, insert proper horrific scene..." and everyone does this in order one die at a time until you have finished out the game!

So, in short we all had a blast playing it and I think I speak for everyone when I say round two can't get here soon enough! Ok, I hope all that makes sense to you guys, but trust me it's great... and if you don't trust me, then how about Wil Wheaton??

 
He talks briefly about Fiasco when he is asked about what he has been playing.

RPGG info: Fiasco
RPGG info: Paranoia

No comments:

Post a Comment