Wednesday, February 23, 2011

War Machines! (Birthday Gaming!)

Brace Yourself Fool!!
Well, I pulled off an amazing feat today, I managed to not only get a babysitter for a few hours during the middle of the week, but I also managed to get in quite a bit of gaming! So after a great lunch with John B., we headed off to the game table for a game of War Machines. If your not familiar with War Machines, it is a small scale skirmish based miniatures game, which means lots of dice, tape measures and figures. I have played simplified demo versions before at Cons, and really loved the mechanics as well as the high quality figures.

Today, I got to experience the game in a more in depth manner with full use of rules and against an opponent that not only was teaching, but also trying to win. John was running a Khador army which are heavy hitters, while I was manning the Protectorate army which focuses more on ranged combat and faster assaults with the lighter warjacks (steam powered Mechs.) The goal of the game is to kill your opponents caster or controller, they are the ones that typically have the most abilities and feats but, with the drawback of being weak and in need of near constant defense. I'd have to say that John had an early advantage by rushing in on my guys and essentially backing us into a corner. However, I did manage to keep him at bay for a bit with a Fire Wall, and pulled a sweet move that took out 3 of his guys in one round!

Not to shabby for a first time with no real strategy or working knowledge of my army to speak of. But, ultimately I took the gamble of moving my Caster into the line of fire of a big bad Jack, and when I failed to kill him got my face beat in! But, hey... you win some, you lose some and if your lucky you have fun either way! Again, I think this game is solid and has tremendous depth when you look at all the abilities and feats these armies have available to them. I am eagerly awaiting my next chance to play and hopefully Win! Not a bad way to start off year #28!

BGG Info: WarMachine

Additionally, I managed to get in 2 new RPGs for my Birthday as well, Paranoia and Fiasco... stay tuned for entries regarding them as well! :)

The Dice represent my Wall of Fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment